Visiting the Social Security Office

The first place you need to go when changing your name is the Social Security office. The paperwork is available online and you can deal with the formalities before going to the office. On your visit, you need to have your marriage certificate along with a copy of a document for identification, such as your passport. The Social Security office is visited by thousands of people daily, with problems much complicated than name changing. You are going to have to spend some time, maybe a few hours there, so be mentally prepared. Get there as early as possible, preferably before they open. The Social Security Administration will inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) about your name change within 10 days after you have filled the form. This is important because it allows you to file tax returns in your new name. If the IRS does not have knowledge of your name change, your tax return will be discarded.

Going Personally
You need to take a certified copy of your marriage certificate, your existing Social Security card and the form for changing your name when you go to the Social Security office. Check the website of the your department regarding the additional documents you need to take with you, as this may be different from state to state.

Mailing the Documents
Fill the form and mail it along with a certified copy of your marriage certificate and your present Social Security card to the Social Security office. The documents will be returned to you after the procedure has been completed. The first document you need to change your name on is the Social Security card. Your driving license can only be changed after the Social Security card is changed. It takes 10 to 14 business days to receive your new Social Security card.
Home | About Us | Contact Us | Sitemap | Resources
webentrust - All Rights Reserved.